Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Literature Analysis #1

I read Taking Sides by Gary Soto, who actually is one of my favorite authors :). The book is about a boy name Lincoln Mendoza who is a basketball player and he had recently just moved out of his old neighborhood into this more suburbia neighborhood because his mother though that the other one that they were living was just to dangerous. Now he is also in a new high school and he is on the basketball team but the only difference is that the whole team is white players. Lincoln felt like an outsider especially since he is the only mexican on the team but he found some friends that help him along the way. 

The reason why I like Gary Soto as an author because his reading is just so relateable in the common life of a person especially for a latino/latina. Every time I ready one if his books I can totally imagine myself as the main character and just being in their shoes

I really fell in love with this book because I was some what in that same situation. I originally came from a jr. high school that most of the population of students were mexican and before the end of my 8th grade year I had the choice to go to Santa Maria High school (which all of my friends were going to go to) or Righetti High School (which I only new is that the student population has a lot more white people there). I decided to go to Righetti because I wanted to try something new. I wanted to be in a new environment to where I felt like I would need to adapt to. The first day of the new school I was just a lost person. I didn't know what to do, where do go, or who to hang out with? Luckily I was in the marching band and the upper class men took me under their wing, showed me the ropes and eventually we all became very good friends and they just treated me like if I was part of a family.

When I read this book it sort of reminded me of my situation when coming to a new school. That's why I can relate to this book just because Soto writes about things that happen regularly in a persons life and that is probably why Gary Soto is with out a doubt one of my favorite authors who I will enjoy his books for a really long time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment